Wednesday, 27 February 2013

how to make a pillow {part 1}

how to make a pillow {part 1}



Before I start talking about the finishing of a pillow I think it's a good idea to start with the front of the pillow. This is the most important piece, it's the side you'll look at after all. If you were going to plant a tree in your yard, you'd make sure the ground was properly prepared first, right? Well, that's what you need to do here. A pillow might be a nice quick project, but there's nothing wrong in making sure you have the best foundations before you start.

You've made a patchwork piece - whether it's using up an old quilt block like this that Jane quilted beautifully for me (thank you Jane!)

pillow front


Or you have specifically made yourself a perfect pillow front, and you need to turn it into something quilted and ready to add a back to.


My ingredients list for a great pillow front are as follows;

  • fusible fleece - whether it's pellon, vilene, or heat n bond (or any other make that I haven't used) this stuff is amazing for pillows. It's a polyester fleece, so it doesn't shrink - which is great for pillows because although a quilt looks beautiful all wrinkled up and vintagey with a shrink on the first wash, a pillow can just look like it needs a good press when it's wrinkled. On one side of the fleece there's a fusible resin (it feels rough) that when pressed adheres to the fabric and means you don't need to baste. It's a permanent fix (the resin doesn't wash out) - so it also means you don't have to quilt as heavily (if at all) if you prefer. It adds body without being stiff. I also don't use a lining inside my pillows when I'm using fusible fleece - that might be a little lazy, but the fleece side of the fusible fleece works a treat - it doesn't pill or go tatty in the wash. 

fusible fleece


  • If you don't have any fusible fleece or you would prefer to use some batting, a low or mid loft  batting is best. Something reasonably thin and lightweight. I use cotton battings in my quilts, so that's what I have on hand at home and that'll be what I use in my pillows if I don't have time to wait for the post to bring me more fusible fleece. It will shrink, so I do find I'm pressing my pillows quite well after I wash them. If I was shopping for batting specifically I would buy a cotton/poly mix or a poly like this pellon legacy batting below or quilter's dream (select weight is classed as mid loft, but it's still nice and thin, like a 1/8" loft).
pellon batting


  • 505 spray baste. If you don't have any of this or have never used it before, then go out right now and buy some. I struggle with spray basting quilts bigger than baby size, that is probably more to do with the cats and the dog trying to get in on the action, but for pillows it's amazing. You simple lay the backing (lining) on the floor (you need a tiled floor, or do it outside - not on carpet or polished wood), lay the batting and the pillow front on top (like a regular quilt sandwich) and fold half of the pillow front and batting up out of the way. Spray, then gently smooth the folded bits backdown, spin around and do the other side. Then repeat for the patchwork top/pillow front - fold back halfway, spray, fold back down and smooth, spin round and do the other side. See the pictures below for reference.
spray baste 505


spray basting

  • Frixion pens for marking quilting lines (available at staples and other stationary stores for less than you'll find them at quilt stores, often on sale and in multi packs with multiple colours). Whether I use spray baste and regular batting, or fusible fleece, I mark my pillows for quilting after I've basted. If I was to use pins, I'd do it before. I am pretty crappy at quilting, I don't enjoy it much and I cannot for the life of me free motion quilt to a standard that I am happy with, so I quilt straight lines. Sometimes I like the lines to be a little more 'organic' and wonky, but I always start with a few marked guidelines, to help me out. The frixion pen ink disappears when you iron it. Completely. Some people mention a faint ghost line remaining, I have tried pretty much every colour and on every colour of fabric and I've never once had a problem with that. I'm not saying it doesn't happen - I'm just saying I've never experienced it so I can't show you an example. I do, however, test on my fabrics before using them - just to be safe.
frixion pen

  • A good quality thread for quilting. For pillows I like quite dense quilting. It help give the pillow a more structured look and they sit up better with a lot of quilting. I use aurifil 50 wt cotton thread (the orange spool), because that's what I use for everything - hand piecing, machine piecing and machine quilting. I'm not bothered about having a whole selection of different weight threads for different projects, I just want a thread I know my machine likes and I can rely on to work. 50 wt is a really fine thread and you don't see the stitches as heavily as you would if you used a heavier thread. You see the quilting texture instead. For me and my not so great quilting skills, this works best. If I was better at quilting maybe I'd like to see my stitches more? (US stockists include pink castle fabrics  and fat quarter shop and UK stockists include the village haberdashery and m is for make
Quilting thread

So those are my go to pillow prep basics. I'd love to hear what yours are, or if you have any tips you'd like to share with preparing the pillow front.

Next week in {part 2} of how to make a pillow we'll look at the most basic of pillow opening - the envelope back. 

16 comments:

Karen said...

505 is the ticket...I use it for big quilts too and have no problems...but then my dog just watches me though :)

Cherry Possum said...

Where do you get fusible fleece from in the UK?

Katy said...

fusible fleece can be found at the village haberdashery (link in the blog post and also here - http://www.thevillagehaberdashery.co.uk/fusible-fleece )

Lynz said...

What a great series of posts! I do love a good cushion and it's always interesting to see other people's tips and ideas.

P.S. I've had the ghost lines with Frixion pens but find they wash out. I think its the residual ink changing colour that shows but it doesnt seem to be a permanent mark.

patchworkdelights said...

This is great Katy. I would never have thought to use fusible fleece so I will get some in I don't have enough for the pillow that I want to finish. Will check out that pen too! Fi

Flying Blind... said...

Coolio x

Di said...

Thanks for the tips. Especially about the pen. Di x

Sara said...

I use the pens all the time need to get more actually;) I haven't used fusible fleece,but may try some or maybe just be lazy and use the batting. All in all great tips Katy:)

Katy Cameron said...

Gotta love those Frixion pens!

Annabellouise said...

What pretty colours. I shall save this post for future reference.

plainstitch said...

I just love these kind of tutorials where people show how they do stuff that you might just take for granted that your way is the only way, theres something so nosey but reassuring about them! Thats why those shows about people cleaning their houses are so addictive, but quilting tutorials is so much more fun! Thanks for taking the time to share!

Nanette Merrill said...

The quilting really adds but seriously this is one beautiful pillow. I love the design.

Tor Hershman said...

google

tim minchin ginger youtube

it's a most amusing song

Sarah Russett said...

I thought I posted a comment the other day! Thanks for doing this Katy! It's very helpful!

Hazel Raison said...

Oh thanks for the tip about the pens. will have to get some of those, am desperate for a decent pen to mark fabric with.

Sun Goog said...

Wow That is absolutely awesome .... It's such a pretty floor cushions.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive