Sunday, 29 April 2012

let's try again, the desperate housewives quilt block...

So, after my somewhat disastrous attempts at making a block for Jane's Desperate Housewive's Quilt we shall try again, still using thangles and half square triangles (HSTs) because they are both so flipping awesome.

Rather than talking you through the whole process of thangles yet again, I'll refer you back to this post and this post where you can learn more about the awesomeness that is the world of thangles.

For each of the 8 block options shown below (oh yes - I'm showing off after I messed up before) you will need to make 16 half square triangle units - so you need to cut;

3 strips from your background fabric - each strip 2.5" x 10"
3 strips from your printed fabric - each strip 2.5" x 10"
you will also need 3 size 2 thangles papers.

(This will yield 18 half square triangles, each of them 2.5" unfinished/2" finished you need 16 for an 8" finished block)

Go back and read this post or this post for how to assemble your HSTs using thangles. (It'll open in a new window, so you can just come straight back when you've finished reading).

block1

Now, you can arrange them in a whole heap of ways. The humble HST is so versatile it is really mind blowing (I said it before - I really don't get out much)

How about this way, a perpetual pinwheel pattern...

pinwheels

Or you could make these diamond squares (the little corner triangles would make cute little patchwork on-point squares if you made a quilt using this block)...

diamond square

How about this omega-ish looking block? (set it on it's side and it looks like a fish, I think)...

omega-ish

This block of stripes would look best if each HST was a different fabric...

stripes

Sometimes you can't beat the simplicity of triangles...

lots of triangles

On-point squares, this is another one that would look cool if the HST were different prints...

patches

A star (of course, you have to make a star using HSTs). This one would have those cute little corner on point squares too, if you made a quilt with it. I love those...

star

And the ever faithful zig zag...

zigzag

These 8 block layouts are just the tip of the ice-berg - the half square triangle has got to be the most useful little thing ever. What blocks can you think of using 16 HST units? Wouldn't it be fun to make a whole quilt just using different HST blocks? I bet you could think of 100. If you add in the occasional solid square your choices are even greater.
There's a book proposal for you - 'having fun the HST way'. Off you go, write it up and send me some royalties.

Thank you to Jane for inviting me to be take part in the Desperate Housewive's Quilt. I hope I've inspired you to have some fun with thangles too! (by the way, in case you're wondering I am not sponsored by thangles in any way, they have no idea who the heck I am and I haven't mentioned to them that I've blogged about their product 3 times in the past month. I just have a heap of them and I think they're fun, and they're also a really simple and accurate way of making HSTs, so if you're a little cautious you should give them a try).


17 comments:

dottycookie said...

The thought of lining up all the points is making me feel a bit funny - but I bet yours will be brill!

Linsey Black said...

Lovely! I just can't get enough of that fabric! Ha x

angharad handmade said...

I like all the variations, really love HSTs. I'll have to give the thangles a try at some point. Do you reckon it's quicker than the standard HST way, or just more accurate?

Flying Blind... said...

I think I need to get me some Thangles action!!

**nicke... said...

i need to get some thangels, they look like so much fun!

Danielle said...

I'm a huge fan of the HST (I don't get out much either). I'm also in love with the houndstooth, just quietly.

Rosa said...

Your HST,are very cute.All are fantastic and love play with HST too.Have fun!

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Eu amo esses, que maneira eu vou agora?Obrigada por tudo.

Jeannie said...

I think you are having just too much fun..ha.ha.a.a. Love all the layouts.

Cherie said...

What great idea's! I'll have to jot some of those down =D

Sarah said...

really loving the second one :-) I might give them a go, but I just got the most awesomely fantastic quilty book full of shit hot blocks and projects to try out so I might be a little busy for a wee whiley... ;-)

Claire said...

I've finished the scythe thangle pillow top today and as I got a bit carried away with the making of hst's had a few spare so played for hours arranging the triangles! I ended up piecing them into a 2 colour zigzag type thing...I love triangle quilts in any arrangement, and there are loads!!
Re thangles...my opinion (welcome or otherwise lol) is they are more accurate but not as quick as drawing a line on a pre cut charm square. If you are not using a precut then thangles don't take up any more time. See you next week!!

Sara said...

HST'S are a GEM....a lifesaver!

Penny said...

All your blocks are wonderful, thanks for sharing!! I do like using thangles, especially quick to assemble & then finished HST soooo accurate but removing those little papers can be so tedious! Any hints as how to quickly remove those pesky little papers?

diane said...

Ta-Dah...

Sarah Watson said...

Wow those all look like a lot of fun. I sure do like all the options. Like a puzzle. Makes me want to cut out some fabric myself...

Katy Cameron said...

Lol, you had too much fun rearranging all those HSTs!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive