Saturday, 3 December 2011

toasty

cozy toes

It took me a while to be convinced, but I've finally succumbed to the flannel quilt. Seeing the Loulouthi flannels at quilt market tipped me over the edge and when Kate at M is for Make got some into the shop I bought a little. Before splurging on every single Anna Maria Horner flannel print I could find in Pink Castle Fabrics and then whipping this up in one evening and a morning (a day?). Super fast. Got to love those kind of quilts.
The pattern uses FQs. 20 to be exact. I tried to get as much use out of each FQ, and just rearranged the fabrics to mix up the blocks and rotated them as I laid them out to get a nicely even distribution of colours and prints.

The skinny 2.5" strip (as shown in the pic below) I'm not using as a border, though. I used those to make that pillow. It'll be a whole snuggly festival of coziness when this is all finished. Sadly not in time for Christmas though, because Long Armed Chris is too busy so I'm not even going to ask (in case she chases me out of her studio with a broom and banishes me forever).

high tech quilt diagrams

So, with the leftover bits and bobs that should have been the border, I threw this bed size pillow together. By bed size, I mean the kind that you sleep on - not the kind you throw decoratively onto your bed and then spend a half hour removing before you go to sleep. It's 18 x 28" and the pom-pom trim was a bitch to sew but worth it. That stuff is stretchy and this particular trim wasn't behaving. We got there eventually though. Thankfully. Because I've bought enough pom-pom trim to adorn every pillow I make from now until eternity.

somewhere soft to rest my head

I've got flannel pillowcases on the brain now, though, and stocked up with a few yards from Karen's shop because she was having a $5/yard sale. How convenient was that when I was hunting for flannel? Incredibly convenient - I believe that's called fate. Or the Gods smiling on me, or something. I'm not sure if the sale is still on, but there's all sorts of good stuff in that shop and a sale section TO DIE FOR. Treat yourself, it's almost Christmas (I will use any excuse).

Also - I have to show you this amazing quilt that Emily made from my scrap vomit tutorial (scroll down when you've clicked on that link a little to get to the tutorial). Don't you just love it? Click on over to read her blog post and check out the photos of the quilting. It's out of this world. I did the happy dance when she told me about it. Oh, happy days. It was a pure warm and fuzzy moment.



My scrap vomit (part deux) quilt needs to be given some time and attention. It's sat in my pile of WIPS looking so very sad and neglected. Maybe I can get my game on this holiday and start the new year with a fresh quilt top? I'm pretty sure I resolve to make every New Year the year I bust those WIPs. Funny how that never really happens. I think Emily has kicked my butt into gear though, I need to get my scraptastic baby finished.

20 comments:

ScissorsandThread said...

Gorgeous, especially love the pillow, I am all for proper pillows that you can actually sleep on. Did you find the flannel much different to sew with?

Kerry said...

I have never touched these but I am totally smitten- thanks for the link to Karen's, I succumbed last night

{Leila}Where the Orchids Grow said...

Your flannel quilt top and cushion look so cozy Katy! Just perfect for cold winter nights.

Siobhan Rogers said...

Flannel is the bees knees!

Katy Cameron said...

Oh a flannel quilt sounds ultra warm and toasty (and totally made me get up and turn the heating back on again!) Did you have to put that link up though? I was absolutely done with buying fabric for now!

rderrett said...

I'm whimpering again - how do you manage to do this to me so often? I need to get my SV constructed. I bought the pink and white Klona for that purpose and it kinda morphed into other projects so now I need to get more. I loved Pink Castle's sale section but I need to get some money before I splurge

cauchy09 said...

gosh, that flannel looks super cozy.

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love the flannel pillow and the pom pom trim is wonderful - I hope the rest of your stash of PP trim is better behaved!

Mary said...

I have to make some flannel pillow cases! A brilliant idea...thanks for giving me yet another reason to buy more fabric! LOL!

**nicke... said...

gorgeous! flannel pillowcases with ball trim! you are a genius! i will make you a christmassy pillowcase if you make me a flannely one! :)

Poppyprint said...

ooo, that flannel pillow is all kinds of awesome. I'd make a bunch except I absolutely hate sewing with flannel. Love seeing others succeed with that vile fabric, though.

Isisjem said...

I always get my flannel from Karen. I bought some half yard cuts a month or so back to turn into circle scarves. I've got some off cuts left and might have to pinch your pillow idea - sans that pom pom trim. (which I have some off but I've always had a sneaky suspicion it will be a nightmare to sew!)

maria said...

I love the pillow, the pom poms are fun, they finish it off brilliantly.

Marie said...

I'm head over heels in love with that pillow! I love the adorable pompom fringe. Where did you find bright pink pompom? My daughter would go crazy over the colors and the fact that it's flannel (she not a fan of the cold & winter is here...well almost).

Did you use just the flannels from Karen's or were there others mixed in as well? One more question: Did you use any batting or just flannel with a flannel backing? That's it!

Thanks for sharing!

La MaƱosa said...

Everything is wonderful! I especially love the pillow!

I know what you mean about that pom pom trim, I have some in that exact color and I sewed it to a piece of shot cotton to make a scarf. It was terrible. I think if I ever do it again, I'm going to just hand baste the thing down so it doesn't move so much and then sew it with the machine.

Cheryl Arkison said...

This makes me think of all the voiles I've collected but been too leery to use.

Oh, and in my house those pompoms are called Dingle Balls.

Megan said...

That pillow is absolutely delicious. And I think we can agree that everyone needs a Loulouthi flannel quilt this winter!

Theresa said...

Hi Katy, gorgeous as usual. Love it, love it.

Anonymous said...

I use flannel as quilt backing material - all the time!

kirsten said...

hey, found this quilt with a google image search since i'm looking to (finally) use my folksy flannels and needed inspiration. this is JUST what i am looking for - did you make up the pattern or buy it or find it or? any more info would be awesome, it looks great! now i will try and find another post about it to see if you've already answered those questions!
oh, and my MIL has made us several flannel quilts, they are AWESOME. and others she's just backed in flannel which is really snuggly, too, without so much bulk.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!