Thursday, 22 December 2011

hey - that's not a quilt!

Well, here's a change from the normal routine, but I thought you might like a recipe for a side dish that is simple and always totally impresses people. Plus, you can serve it as a the vegetarian option if you use a cheese other than parmesan (which contains rennet so it isn't vegetarian...although whether your veggie guests eat parmesan or not depends on how 'true' to the cause they are. Some do. Just check first, ok?)

Leek and butterbean bake with parmesan cream. (serves 4 as a side dish)
You will need 3 leeks, washed really well and sliced into circles about 3/4 inch thick.
A clove of garlic, crushed
A knob of butter and a glug of olive oil, melted together in a heavy based frying pan or skillet that has a lid (mixing the butter with oil helps prevent the leeks burning and tasting nasty)
A small pot of double cream (heavy cream in the US, I think? The kind you would pour on your pie - thick but still runny.)
A 400g can of butterbeans (or a half cup of dried butterbeans, soaked overnight)
Handful of finely grated parmesan (or another sharp, hard cheese)


Sweat the leeks and garlic in the skillet, covered, and on a low heat until soft. Around 10 or 15 minutes.  Totally don't rush this bit, because you'll burn the leeks and then they taste really awful. You want them soft, but not browned in any way. Stir frequently and if the oil/butter is bubbling too much turn the heat right down.


sweating leeks


Add the butterbeans and the cream. You want enough cream to make a sauce, but not so much that the mixture is swimming. Heat through gently, but do not boil.
Transfer to an oven proof dish and sprinkle the cheese over the top.


ready for baking!


Pop in the oven on a medium to high heat until the cheese has browned and the cream bubbles.


ready to serve!


And that's it. 

16 comments:

**nicke... said...

mmmmmm... delicious! i love leeks... and butter beans too.

Jacey said...

That looks divine. I truly wish I had teleporting abilities. I'll have to make some of my own soon!

Archie the wonder dog said...

Oh, that looks delicious! Bet it's lovely with some garlic bread ;o) Thanks for sharing - printing it off now!

amy said...

Yum!!! That looks delicious! I have do go grocery shopping tomorrow and now I have a couple of things to add to my list. Thanks!

Lisa Marie said...

That looks delicious. But... How much is a "knob" of butter? That made me laugh!
And I'm surprised at how many people don't know what makes a cheese non-vegetarian!

traceyjay said...

looks so delicious! (and that blueberry dish on the side is quite pretty too)

Justine said...

Thanks Katy ;)

Michele said...

Man, that sounds so good. Butter beans are my favorite.

Kwilt Noob said...

This would be decadently delicious with our roast beast this year. I'm in!

Flying Blind... said...

Thanks Delia x

Little Creatable said...

That looks so good! I'm on my way home for dinner and this is making my mouth water!

Katy Cameron said...

Mmm, that looks yummy, may have to pin that for a work night in January...

Jackie said...

Mmmm.... it may not be a quilt, but it is the next best thing!!

P├ętra said...

Yumm I am always up for a good food post!

Colleen said...

I just made some of these to go with lunch today! Thanks for the great recipe

Violet Craft said...

Alrighty! I made it and it was just as yummy as I thought it was going to be. So, hooray to you for getting me to eat a vegetable that I didn't even know what it looked like before. ha! Seriously - this was so good. Thank you miss!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!